In April 2018 we traded in our much loved VW Camper at Campersales, West Sussex and took delivery of a Westfalia Amundsen 600D. It’s our fourth motorcarvan, following two VW campers and a coachbuilt. We went to France twice last year and also used it on trips to Devon and Cornwall. A joy to drive, we are very pleased with our purchase!
We think the 600 is the perfect size for two people. At under 6m long it can be driven almost anywhere and usually able to squeeze into most parking spaces. The main things we like about it are:
- Front seats swivel and form a comfortable diner for 4 – ideal when entertaining.
- Wet Room with enough space for a plus six footer to shower in.
- Good capacity compressor fridge and adequate storage.
- A 1.9m X 1.4m bed that is just a bed, not a seat that has to double up as a bed.
- Huge storage under the bed, accessible from both the rear doors and inside.
The conversion is on a Fiat Maxi base with the 2.3L 150 engine that is flexible and pulls readily, although obviously still ‘tight’. So far we have averaged 29mpg – I’m a bit ‘anal’ about fuel consumption, relying on good brim to brim readings recorded in Excel.
The ‘Driven Temple’ – an explanation…
Our daughter once remarked that I spent so much time tweaking and playing in our van and she felt I worshiped it. “It’s like driving around in a Temple“. Each subsequent ‘van has enjoyed that title.